ARC Book Review | Dream a Little Dream by Kerstin Gier

Posted on Sunday, April 12, 2015 12:00 AM
Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Publication Date: April 14, 2015
My Rating: 3 Stars


Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yep, Liv’s dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially this one where she’s in a graveyard at night, watching four boys perform dark magic rituals.

The really weird thing is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They’re classmates from her new school in London, the school where’s she’s starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again). But they seem to know things about her in real life that they couldn’t possibly know, which is mystifying. Then again, Liv could never resist a good mystery. . . .

Review



Something to Note: I received an e-ARC of this book from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

Why Did I Want To Read Dream A Little Dream: I immediately wanted to read this book after reading about the dream aspect in the summary, it sounded like something that I would enjoy.

The Characters: Liv, our MC, was easy enough to like, she was very level-headed and she was always looking for realistic explanations for everything that was happening.  She didn't jump to conclusions, she was extremely smart and she didn't let anyone stop her from doing what she felt she needed to.  I also really enjoyed her quirky personality.

I also really enjoyed Mia, Liv's little sister, and Lottie, Mia and Liv's au pair.  But apart from those three, I wasn't really sold on the rest of the characters.  The boys were interesting but none of them really wowed me.  I have to admit that the love interest ended up being different from who I originally thought it would be, but in the end, I kind of preferred it that way.  While I didn't hate Liv's relationship with him, I felt like I needed a little something more to make me love them as a couple.

My Overall Thoughts: My favorite parts of this book was the dreams and trying to figure out who runs the gossip blog "The Tittle Tattle Blog".  The other parts kind of went a little slow, and I was always looking forward to more dreams and blog posts.  I have my suspicions on who 'secrecy' (that's what the person behind the blog calls themselves) is, so I'm excited to see how that all plays out in future installments.

Now, on to the ending, I totally called it.  I saw it coming a mile away, so obviously that hindered my enjoyment a little.  I also still had a lot of questions at the end, I know that this is the first book in a series, so I'm hoping those will get answered in future books.
One Line Wrap Up: An interesting story filled with mesmerizing dreams that feel real, and when the people in Liv's dreams mention things that they couldn't possibly know, she'll have to find out what's real and what's a dream.

I Would Recommend For Fans Of: Books with alternate worlds.



author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0