Book Review | Legacy by Ellery Kane

Posted on Friday, February 13, 2015 12:00 AM


Format: Paperback
Source: Author via Goodreads
Publisher: Balboa Press
Publication: September 5, 2014
Pages: 254
My Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars




How do you want to feel today?

In 2041, the choice is yours.

San Francisco is deserted, the Bay Bridge bombed, and the BART subway trains grounded. The Guardians, members of an elite and mysterious government-appointed military police force, are maintaining order at all costs—thanks to emotion-altering drugs like Emovere that suppress fear and anxiety. Lex Knightley, daughter of a prominent forensic psychiatrist, risks entering the devastated city to partner with the Resistance, a group of rebels intent upon exposing the dangers of Emovere. Lex discovers an ally in Quin McAllister, a magnetic Guardian Force recruit with a haunting past that binds them together. As she uncovers the secrets of the Guardian Force and confronts the truth about her family, Lex begins to realize that even those closest to her are not quite who they seem.



My Review 

Something to Note: I received this book from the author for an honest review.

The Characters: Lex Knightly, the main character in this novel. I instantly enjoyed Lex in this novel. Her mother is someone who has done some bad and good things in their lifetime and Lex is kind of stuck in her footsteps, but she doesn't fall to it. Lex becomes her own person and I really liked her. She's brave, sweet and smart. At times I feel like she wants more sympathy than she needs, but what girl doesn't? I sure know that I do at times. She definitely speaks her mind when she wants to and I definitely think she grew with the every page of the book.

Quin McAllister is the tough, quiet, but haunting guy that every girl has fawn over once in their lifetime. He is a Guardian Force recruit who has done some nasty things in his past. But, when he was younger his family life wasn't the best and it kind of molded him, or so the Guardian Force though. Quin is such a unique character because he knows that he can't get close with anyone and he know that he will blow any minute - BUT HE TRIES. Which melted my heart. Just like Lex, Quin continues to grow. He has a few set backs, but his character is well done.

The secondary characters...I loved them. Quin's two best friends Elana and Max are so perfect and they make you laugh throughout the book. They compliment both main characters so well. They both have their pasts that haunt them and their stories are shown and help the book become wonderful. 

Of course, there are other secondary characters, but I just wanted to focus on Max and Elana.

My Thoughts: At first, I was very hesitant about reading this book because it's not really the genre I would levitate towards, but I loved it. It was a quick read for me and I never wanted to put it down. Which is saying something because lately I have been in such a terrible reading slump. This book puts a smile on your face, but then tears you apart at different times. Although, sometimes you're not sure which way you want your mouth to turn.

Ellery Kane does a wonderful job of engaging you through this book and allows you to see the world that is now 2041 San Francisco. The world around us was painted, but the whole idea of Emovere and the Guardian Force was kind of complicated at first. I wasn't really sure how everything started, but once you get into the book more you'll find new things coming up. 

All in all, the book was a wonderful read and sometimes you'll see what's coming, but others your mind will be blown (sorry for the cheesy remark). 

Why is the half star missing? The half star is missing because at times I felt things were a little rushed and like I said just a sentence above...I saw some things coming. 

One Line Wrap Up: Many families are torn apart, but a new family is born with this struggling book of fighting your past and perceiving to your future. 

Recommend to the lovers of: Delirium,  Riot and Edge of Truth



author image

Erica

Erica is a 20 year old college student and book lover. When she’s done with studying she’ll always want to relax with a book, of any kind. If she’s not reading she could be caught up in her latest Netflix series or lost in a conversation with her spectacular boyfriend.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0