Book Review | Before You by Amber Hart

Posted on Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:12 PM
Format: Kindle
Source: Library
Publisher: K-Teen
Publication Date: July 29, 2014
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars



Some say love is deadly. Some say love is beautiful. I say it is both.

Faith Watters spent her junior year traveling the world, studying in exquisite places, before returning to Oviedo High School. From the outside her life is picture-perfect. Captain of the dance team. Popular. Happy. Too bad it’s all a lie.

It will haunt me. It will claim me. It will shatter me. And I don't care.

Eighteen-year-old Diego Alvarez hates his new life in the States, but staying in Cuba is not an option. Covered in tattoos and scars, Diego doesn't stand a chance of fitting in. Nor does he want to. His only concern is staying hidden from his past—a past, which if it were to surface, would cost him everything. Including his life.

At Oviedo High School, it seems that Faith Watters and Diego Alvarez do not belong together. But fate is as tricky as it is lovely. Freedom with no restraint is what they long for. What they get is something different entirely.

Love—it will ruin you and save you, both.

Review


Something to Note: I freaking loved this book! I'll be purchasing a physical copy for my shelves.

Why Did I Want To Read Before You: I actually hadn't heard of Before You until I saw this review on my friend, Gen's blog, and after watching her video review, I knew that I had to read it.

The Characters: First, I want to talk about Diego.  I absolutely LOVED him.  He's had a hard life, and he's seen things that no one should ever see, but especially someone his age.  He's also survived things that I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't, and while I don't agree with most of the stuff in his past, I can understand why he did them.  Everything he done, he done for his family, and I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same thing in his shoes because I would do anything for mine. 

Faith was a little more difficult for me to like.  I could understand why she felt that she needed to be the way that she was, but there were times when I got really aggravated with her, especially some of the ways she treated Diego.  But in the end, I liked her so much better, and I'm glad that I got to see her grow as a character.

The secondary characters were also really awesome, I adored Faith's best friend, Melissa.  She was an amazing friend, she knew exactly how much to push Faith, but she also stayed true to her best friend, and that is really hard to find now days.  The rest of the characters, Grace, Diego's father and his cousins, and even Faith's stepmom were all really great and they all added a little something extra to the story.  

My Overall Thoughts: Before You surprised me, I pretty much knew going in that I would like it, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away like I was.  The characters were amazing and the story flowed perfectly, not once did it feel slow to me. 

I loved the whole back story, and like I said above, Diego has been through some pretty rough stuff, but he's came out on the other side, and I could tell from the beginning that he was actually a really nice guy, despite what he tries to portray to the outside world. 

Now, that ending.  I think the last 10% of the book, I was pretty much on edge, I can't tell you why because I don't want to take away that shock factor, but I think I literally screamed when I got to a certain part in the story.  I don't really want to say much on it though because I don't want to ruin anything for anybody, so you'll just have to read the book to find out what I'm talking about.
One Line Wrap Up: An amazing journey about learning to accept yourself as you are, with a side of forbidden romance.

I Would Recommend For Fans Of: Simone Elkeles Perfect Chemistry series

author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0