ARC Book Review | My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Posted on Monday, February 9, 2015 12:00 AM



Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher via Edelweiss
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Publication Date: February 10, 2015
Pages: 320
My Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars


Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner.

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince.

My Thoughts:

My Heart and Other Black Holes was such a gripping, thought provoking, and heart wrenching story. It's one that I believe everyone should pick up and read and it's one that I can see myself recommending over and over again.

I'm a huge fan of the books with the tougher subjects, so I pretty much guessed that I would enjoy this book from the moment I read the summary, but I didn't expect it to twist my heart strings as much as it did. Aysel was a character that was so real and so raw that it was impossible not to want to help her. I just wanted to wrap my arms around her and tell her that it would be ok, and there were other options.

And Roman, I just can't even tell you how much I felt for him. The story behind his depression is so heart breaking and gut wrenching, and it's something that I wasn't expecting at all. There was just so much hurt and pain there.

Like I said above, this book deals with some tough things, so if you are looking for light and fluffy then you should skip this one. But if you are looking for a powerful, thought provoking story about loss, finding yourself, and hope, then this is the one for you.
 
author image

Christy

Christy is a 27 year old wife, mother, nursing student and self proclaimed book addict. When she's not busy spending time with her family or learning to save lives, you can find her with a book in her hands, and a smile on her face.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0