Review: Lies My Girlfriend Told Me by Julie Anne Peters

Posted on Friday, December 12, 2014 12:00 AM

Format: Hardback
Pages: 256
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: June 10, 2014
My Rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars






When Alix's charismatic girlfriend, Swanee, dies from sudden cardiac arrest, Alix is overcome with despair. As she searches Swanee's room for mementos of their relationship, she finds Swanee's cell phone, pinging with dozens of texts sent from a mysterious contact, L.T. The most recent text reads: "Please tell me what I did. Please, Swan. Te amo. I love you." Shocked and betrayed, Alix learns that Swanee has been leading a double life--secretly dating a girl named Liana the entire time she's been with Alix. Alix texts Liana from Swanee's phone, pretending to be Swanee in order to gather information before finally meeting face-to-face to break the news. Brought together by Swanee's lies, Alix and Liana become closer than they'd thought possible. But Alix is still hiding the truth from Liana. Alix knows what it feels like to be lied to--but will coming clean to Liana mean losing her, too?



My Thoughts 

I walked into Barnes and Noble to just search and look around for something to grab my attention. Well, a lot of books did, but I couldn't decide which book I wanted to grab. Then my sister came across this and my choice was made a lot easier. The cover, like I said in our previous posts, caught my attention and is what made me read the synopsis. I was so excited to start reading through this book, but when I started I was a little disappointed.

I feel like with my first two reviews on here, they aren't so positive. They both also have some of the same reasons as to why I did not particularly enjoy the books. In Lies My Girlfriend Told Me there was a lack of growth in the characters. Alix was very whiny and annoying throughout the book. I know you may think that is harsh and you're thinking, 'well of course she was, she just lost her girlfriend.' But, it wasn't just the fact she lost someone...she just always felt sorry for herself (in more ways than one). Throughout the book we don't hear much about Swanee. Yes, she passed away and she had a lot of skeletons in her closet, but to me that's all we go out of her. Now, moving on to Liana... She is someone that I did enjoy in the book. Someone going through (Swanee's passing and her deceit) is also going through the lies of Alix. 

I never wanted the book to end. Not because I was engaged throughout the whole thing, but because I felt like nothing was truly fulfilled. I felt like I didn't receive closure. To me it seemed like the focus was just on couple relations and no other relationships. Family was a factor in this book and there was no closure in that sense of relationship, which really upset me. Each page I turned kept upsetting me more because I knew that I wasn't getting the information I wanted back. 

To wrap everything up and to put it simply...I just wish there was more.




author image

Erica

Erica is a 20 year old college student and book lover. When she’s done with studying she’ll always want to relax with a book, of any kind. If she’s not reading she could be caught up in her latest Netflix series or lost in a conversation with her spectacular boyfriend.
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0