Book Review | See Me by Wendy Higgins

Posted on Monday, March 31, 2014 4:00 AM


Format: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: March 17, 2014

 
 
While most seventeen-year-old American girls would refuse to let their parents marry them off to a stranger, Robyn Mason dreams of the mysterious McKale in Ireland, wondering how he’ll look and imagining his cute Irish accent. Prearranged bindings are common for magical families like her own, however when she travels to the whimsical Emerald Isle she discovers there’s more to her betrothal and McKale’s clan than she was led to believe.

What starts as an obligatory pairing between Robyn and McKale morphs over time into something they both need. But one giant obstacle stands in the way of their budding romance: a seductive and deadly Fae princess accustomed to getting what she wants—and what she wants is McKale as her plaything. Love, desire, and jealousies collide as Robyn’s family and McKale’s clan must work together to outsmart the powerful Faeries and preserve the only hope left for their people.
 

My Thoughts


 
Wow! This book took me completely by surprise. While it's true that I figured that I would like this book, I mean it's written by Wendy Higgins so I had a feeling that it would be great. But I have never read anything about Leprechauns before so I wasn't sure how that would work out for me because the last time I tried a book about a creature that I hadn't read before *cough* Gargoyles *cough* it didn't work out so well. However, I completely fell in love with this world and these characters that Wendy created and I sincerely hope that we get to see more books set in this world.
 
Robyn didn't have the luxury of a normal upbringing. Instead she has known since she was a little girl that she was promised to a boy that she had never met before. You see, Robyn's parents work for the Fae and when Robyn was a baby, the Summer King's Consort threatened to take Robyn unless her parents agreed to an arranged marriage. Of course, her parents knew what would happen to her if she was held in Faerie, so they agreed.

Robyn didn't look forward to the union with dread, instead she has spent her whole life wondering what her future husband was like. She even bought him presents when she was just a little girl. But it isn't long after Robyn meets McKale that she realizes that a Fae girl has her sights set on him and she will stop and nothing to get him.

Yes, the Fae were stronger.  They could force us to work for them.  Force us to bind with strangers.  They could alter our minds and take our memories.  But they couldn't take away our will to live or our choice to love.  We would endure, and then we would die, but our hearts would be full along the way.  I pitied the Fae with all their power and beauty and their lack of love.

Robyn was such an easy character to like, she was just so sweet and the complete opposite of the FFG (Freaky Fae Girl) that was trying to win McKale over. McKale *sighs* McKale is such a sweetheart, I can see why he has two girls fighting over him. Hell, there would be three girls fighting over him if I could somehow jump in this book :)

The secondary characters in the book are wonderful too. I adored Robyn's sister, Cassidy. She was such fun, I think she brought out a little bit of a wild side in Robyn. And Rock, he had me cracking up.

I also really liked the fact that Robyn and Cassidy's parents were present a lot in this book. It seems like a trend in YA books where the parents are nowhere to be found and I find that a little unrealistic. Yeah, when I was a teenager I would have loved for my parents to be gone more so that I could have a little bit of freedom, but in the real world, it doesn't usually happen that way.

Overall, See Me is such a fun and captivating read. Wendy's writing is flawless and the story flows so perfectly that it's impossible not to get swept up in this world and I hope to see more of these characters in the future.

 
 




Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0