CBA Discussion | Does Goodreads Ratings Matter

Posted on Thursday, February 13, 2014 4:30 AM

I don't know how many times that I have been EXTREMLY excited about a book only to go on Goodreads and the rating be 3.50 or below.  I'm not sure about everyone else but when that happens, I'm no longer that excited about the book and I'm usually very hesitant to purchase it after that.  

I don't know why I do this because I know that not everyone likes the same books and there have been times where I've read and loved a book with a lower Goodreads rating.  But when I have that book in my Amazon cart and I'm getting ready to hit purchase, it feels like there's this little voice in my head saying 'you better not' and then 99% of the time, I don't.  

 photo tumblr_mpudubgqmj1rbrdkoo1_250_zpsea136d0c.gif

I still might read the book despite the rating if it's one that I'm really excited or curious about, but usually only if it's available at my library or I catch it on sale for Kindle.  I'm kind of ashamed to admit that I will rarely pay the full price for a book if it has a lower rating.  I know that sounds bad, but hardcover books are expensive (at least to me) and I'm very picky about buying them especially if I see a lot of negative things about it.   

TALK TO ME
 
Does your excitement for a book dissipate when you see that it has a low Goodreads rating? Will you still purchase it or will you borrow from the library?


Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0