ARC Book Review | Ask Again Later by Liz Czukas

Posted on Friday, February 28, 2014 4:30 AM



Format: e-ARC
Source: Publisher via Netgalley
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: March 11, 2014


 Despite what her name might suggest, Heart has zero interest in complicated romance. So when her brilliant plan to go to prom with a group of friends is disrupted by two surprise invites, Heart knows there's only one drama-free solution: flip a coin.

Heads: The jock. He might spend all night staring at his ex or throw up in the limo, but how bad can her brother's best friend really be?

Tails: The theater geek...with a secret. What could be better than a guy who shares all Heart's interests--even if he wants to share all his feelings?

Heart's simple coin flip has somehow given her the chance to live out both dates. But where her prom night ends up might be the most surprising thing of all...


 


When I first saw this book on Netgalley it seemed like a fast and fun read so I immediately requested it, because who doesn't like a fun read every now and then? 

Heart LeCour is not like your average seventeen year old girls, and no I'm not just talking about her name.  She has a plan to keep herself from turning out like her mother.  Her mother had Heart and her brother, Phil by the time she was twenty years old, then her mom realized that it wasn't the life that she wanted so she left them.  Heart thinks that if she doesn't date and doesn't let a guy in, then she won't get hurt or end up like her mother.

But Heart's plan is about to go out of the window when she gets asked to prom by not one, but two guys.  Heart has a hard time deciding between the two, but it's not because she really "likes" either one of them, it's because she has a big heart and both guys have a sob story.  Now, you're probably wondering if she doesn't like either of the guys that asks her to prom then how does that lead to her plan getting smashed?  Well, I could tell you, but I won't.  I'm just going to say trust me, it does.

I really like Heart as a character, she was very witty and she has such a huge heart (get it?).  But she didn't really act like any almost 18 year old that I've ever met, well maybe that's a good thing.  I really liked her friends to, they seemed like the type of friends that would be there for you no matter what.

Overall, Ask Again Later is a fast, fun and witty read.  I really liked the twist that the author threw in with the heads vs. tails prom night, we get to see exactly what happens with both options and I really enjoyed that aspect.  If I was to recommend this book to anyone, I think it would be more of the younger YA crowd because at times it did seem a little immature but overall, I did enjoy reading this book.

 
 

 
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0