Book Review | Stealing Parker by Miranda Keaneally

Posted on Sunday, September 1, 2013 12:30 AM


Series: Hundred Oaks # 2

Format: Kindle

Source: Purchased

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

Publication Date: October 1, 2012

Pages: 251


 

 
Red-hot author Miranda Kenneally hits one out of the park in this return to Catching Jordan's Hundred Oaks High.

Parker Shelton pretty much has the perfect life. She’s on her way to becoming valedictorian at Hundred Oaks High, she’s made the all-star softball team, and she has plenty of friends. Then her mother’s scandal rocks their small town and suddenly no one will talk to her.

Now Parker wants a new life.

So she quits softball. Drops twenty pounds. And she figures why kiss one guy when she can kiss three? Or four. Why limit herself to high school boys when the majorly cute new baseball coach seems especially flirty?

But how far is too far before she loses herself completely?

When I decided to pick up Stealing Parker, I had been in a reading rut for a few days and every book I picked up, I couldn’t get into.  So, based on previous experiences, I knew that I needed something light and fun in order to get me out the funk I was in and since I read Catching Jordan a little while ago and loved it, I figured Stealing Parker would the perfect book to bring me back to life.  Of course, I was right.

First, I would like to give Miranda Kenneally a round of applause *claps* for making me love a book in which baseball is such a big part of the story.  I am surprised by how much I love her books when I know NOTHING about sports.  That just shows me how amazing her writing actually is. 

Parker Shelton’s world changed when her mom revealed that she was a lesbian and that she was leaving Parker’s dad in order to be in a relationship with a woman.  When a girl on Parker’s softball team starts a rumor that Parker is a lesbian just like her mom, Parker decides to change who she is just so she can show everyone that this isn’t true.  So she loses a bunch of weight, quits the softball team, and starts hooking up with a bunch of different guys.

Parker’s best friend Drew convinces her to sign up to be the statistician/manager for the baseball team.  This is where Parker meets the new assistant coach Brian Hoffman and a very inappropriate relationship begins.  I must admit that even though I understand that this relationship and the consequences that Parker faces helps her grow as a person; I really didn’t enjoy the scenes when they were together.    

I was surprised how much I came to like Will, aka Corndog.  When we first meet him in the beginning of this book, he seems like a real jerk.  But as the story goes on, we find out that he is actually really sweet and any girl would be lucky to go for a ride on his lawnmower (I know that sounds dirty, but it’s really not  )

Stealing Parker was definitely a page-turner and I would have finished it in one day had I not left my Kindle at work.  If you enjoyed Catching Jordan then you will love Stealing Parker 


 

 

 

 
Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0