Review: Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2012 4:08 PM

Format: Hardcover
Pages: 324

Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Buy this Book: Amazon


From Goodreads:

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.

Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?
 

Review:

Sisters Red is the first ‘Fairytale Retelling’ book that I have read and going in, I didn’t know what to expect, but this book was fantastic and I can’t believe it took me this long to read it.  Ms. Pearce puts a fresh new twist on the ‘Little Red Riding Hood’ story.  I must say that I haven’t read a werewolf book quite like this before. 

Scarlett March’s grandmother was killed by a werewolf or Fenris when she was a little girl, Scarlett also lost an eye in this attack.  Since then she has trained to lure and kill Fenris.  When a lot of Fenris show up in Atlanta looking for the ‘Potential’ the sisters and Silas go there in order to kill as many as they can, but with the Potential near the wolves are stronger.    
Scarlett is the older sister and she is an absolute badass who is obsessed with hunting and killing the very thing that took her grandmother and left her scarred and without a right eye.  Rosie is the younger, more laid back sister, and even though she hunts Fenris with Scarlett she isn’t obsessed like her sister.  She feels indebted to Scarlett for saving her life and she thinks hunting is repaying that debt.  I really liked Silas, he’s strong but he’s also sweet. 
Sisters Red is filled with action and twists that you won’t see coming.  The writing was wonderful and the ending was perfect.  I look forward to reading more by Ms. Pearce.  

  Quotes:


 “We can’t change the station, by the way,” he says
‘Because you really like pop music?” I ask, wrinkling my nose as a bubbly song blares at us.
“Not hardly,” Silas says.  “I hate it.  But last time I changed it, the car stopped.  Oh, and lean away from your door-sometimes it opens randomly.”

 Rating:


 



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling me about this book. It sounds really good. Now I have a new author to follow. Curious to meet Silas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YW! Silas was one of my fave characters in this book :D

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, they make my day :D

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0