Review: Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost

Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2012 5:20 PM

Title: Once Burned

Author: Jeaniene Frost

Format: Paperback

Pages: 346

Publisher: Avon

Buy This Book:  Amazon

From Goodreads:

She's a mortal with dark powers...

After a tragic accident scarred her body and destroyed her dreams, Leila never imagined that the worst was still to come: terrifying powers that let her channel electricity and learn a person's darkest secrets through a single touch. Leila is doomed to a life of solitude...until creatures of the night kidnap her, forcing her to reach out with a telepathic distress call to the world's most infamous vampire...

He's the Prince of Night...

Vlad Tepesh inspired the greatest vampire legend of all—but whatever you do, don't call him Dracula. Vlad's ability to control fire makes him one of the most feared vampires in existence, but his enemies have found a new weapon against him—a beautiful mortal with powers to match his own. When Vlad and Leila meet, however, passion ignites between them, threatening to consume them both. It will take everything that they are to stop an enemy intent on bringing them down in flames.

My Thoughts:


Jeaniene Frost has been one of my favorite authors since the first time I picked up Halfway to the Grave.  I absolutely fell in love with the Night Huntress series and since Vlad is one of my favorite characters in that series, when I found out that he was getting his own I was ecstatic. 

Once Burned starts off with Leila, who is a human with some unusual abilities.  An accident with a downed power line with she was thirteen left her with the ability to expel power whenever she touches someone.  It also left her with psychometry; the ability to see the past, present and future by one touch. 

Leila’s gift comes to the attention of a group of vampires who want to use her to track down the most notorious vampire Vlad Tepesh.  While trying to connect to Vlad and see where his location is in the present she accidently makes a mental connection with him.  Once explaining the situation to Vlad, he comes to her rescue and this is where to story really begins. 

I love Leila and Vlad together.  Leila is a strong character; she doesn’t dwell on her past or feel sorry for herself, she does an awesome job at dealing with the cards she has been dealt.  I’ve always loved Vlad.  I love his sense of humor and his protectiveness.  I think Leila is a good fit for him, she’s not afraid to put him in his place…which let’s face it, not a lot of people can get away with that.

The Night Huntress fans will be glad to know that we do get to see a few characters from the Night Huntress series in this book.  Once Burned is a great first book in the Night Prince series and I’m eagerly awaiting the next book in this series. 

Favorite Quotes:

"I'm attracted to a lot of hot guys. If Chris Hemsworth were here, I'd light him up like a firecracker with how fast I'd jump on him." 
“I’m the only authentic Vlad. Everyone else is merely an envious imitation.”     

My Rating:

 



Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0