Early Review: Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Posted on Saturday, July 28, 2012 7:00 AM

Format: e-ARC from Netgalley
Expected Publication: August 28, 2012
Publisher: Kensington
Pre-Order this book: Amazon

From Amazon:


Gabriel Merrick plays with fire.  Literally.

Sometimes he can even control it.  And sometimes he can’t

Gabriel has always had his brothers to rely on, especially his twin, Nick.  But when an arsonist starts wreaking havoc on their town, all the signs point to Gabriel.  Only he’s not doing it.
And no one seems to believe him.  Except a shy sophomore named Layne, a brainiac who dresses in turtlenecks and jeans and keeps him totally off balance.  Layne understands family problems, and she understands secrets.  She has a few of her own.
Gabriel can’t let her guess about his brothers, about his abilities, about the danger that’s right at his heels.  But there are some risks he can’t help taking.
The fuse is lit…


My Thoughts:

First, let me say that I love reading about the Merrick brothers, and in Spark we get to follow Gabriel and if you thought you loved him in the first book, just wait until you read this one. 
Spark starts off a few days after Storm leaves off, only this time it’s not the guides that the Merrick brothers have to worry about…it’s an arsonist that’s getting fire happy all over town and since Gabriel can control fire…all of the signs point to him.
We learn a lot about Gabriel in this book.  He’s not just the fun, carefree, trouble making brother that I thought he was, he’s a whole lot deeper than that and in this installment we get to go inside his head and get a better understanding of why he is the way he is.  Another one of my favorite characters in this book is Layne; she is exactly what Gabriel needs.  She’s the unpopular shy, smart girl but she’s also tough and not afraid to put Gabriel in his place.  I love the growth of Gabriel and Layne’s relationship.  It’s not the instantaneous love at first sight that we find in a lot of books and that makes this relationship so much more amazing.  Layne seems to understand him even when no one does.  Both Gabriel and Layne have deep emotional issues and they both have secrets and insecurities, but they get one another. 
I could keep going but I don’t want to give anything away so let me just say that Brigid Kemmerer just keeps getting better.  Spark grabbed me from the first page and didn’t let me go; this is an incredibly emotional book and I will be counting down the days until I can read Spirit!

My Rating:


 

 

Copyright © 2014 Novel Ink
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0